It's a way to learn differently!
At Old Heath Community Primary School we are very lucky that we have been able to turn a corner of our school field into our very own 'Wolf Wood'! Obviously no real wolves!
The Forest School Association has six principles that we recognise and work with whilst running our Forest School sessions:
- FS is a long term process of regular sessions, rather than one-off or infrequent visits; the cycle of planning, observation, adaptation and review links each session.
- FS takes place in a woodland or natural environment to support the development of a relationship between the learner and the natural world.
- FS uses a range of learner-centred processes to create a community for being, development and learning.
- FS aims to promote the holistic development of all those involved, fostering resilient, confident, independent and creative learners.
- FS offers learners the opportunity to take supported risks appropriate to the environment and to themselves.
- FS is run by qualified Forest School practitioners who continuously maintain and develop their professional practice.
During the Covid Pandemic, we had to put our regular Forest School sessions for every class on hold as we needed staff in school. We hope very much that we will restart our sessions for the year 2022/2023, once the 'forest area' has undergone some maintenance and 'tlc' (especially after the very dry summer!!).